ADHD Causes – Medical
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
symptoms are seen more often now than in previous generations. Diagnosis
of the ADD and ADHD has increased so much recently that it is spoken of
as an epidemic. Currently over 4-7 million children in the USA are
diagnosed with this so-called disorder.
The school system pushes this diagnosis, as ADHD kids with their
hyperactive behavior disrupt classes. Then there are added incentives to
label children with something as they can get the school benefits
through the Federal program, the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act), which allocates money to school districts so that they
can treat disabled children.
Pushing Schedule II drugs on underage children is the easy way out
for schools. The long-term harm done will not be seen by the teachers,
who feel relieved that they can get on with their job, without being
distracted by those troublesome hyperactive kids.
The foremost researchers in the ADHD field feed this attitude, by
assuming for no particular scientific reason that the child who sits
quietly in class is “normal,” while the others are suffering from some
vague neurological “disorder.” When planning their research they assume
this to be a factual truth, and so set up studies accordingly. Their
result will naturally fit this narrow-minded worldview.
In science an opinion is not a fact. An idea becomes a hypothesis,
which after testing becomes a theory. Most of our facts are really
undisproved theories. Serious research tests the paradigm the hypothesis
rests on. The “consensus science” group of ADHD researchers has never
done this. Their studies assume the unproven paradigm and so will
without doubt confirm what they want to confirm.
This is similar to wishing to prove the world currency is the US
Dollar. If I travel throughout the United States, and even travel
“overseas” to Alaska and Hawaii, I will find the US Dollar as the
accepted currency. Unless I test outside my paradigm (the USA) I will
never know if I am correct.
These researchers, backed by economic interests from the
pharmaceutical industry have managed to form a “consensus science” based
on an assumption. The many people who take stimulant medication so they
can continue their lifestyle, which might not be compatible to their
personality, seem to confirm that these researchers are correct.
ADHD is controversial and would not be so if there was solid evidence
that the so-called “consensus view” on ADHD was correct. There are
equally qualified experts on both sides of the debate. On the one side
there is money, prestige and career opportunities, while on the other
side there are doctors and academics that are honestly searching for the
If ADHD is a mental disorder, then the exact cause of Attention
Deficit Disorder is unknown, as it is with all mental disorders. We
still do not understand the brain. It is the most complex organism in
the known universe.
Of the various ADHD theories, none has the full picture, but each has
pieces of the puzzle. ADD and ADHD are complex if we search for one
solution to one problem. However if we are looking at one individual who
we know well, our child, or ourself then it is easier.
ADHD symptoms are used to diagnose the “disorder.” There are over 100
causes of ADHD. To find the solution to our difficulties with ADHD we
need to find the cause and treat the cause. Many of these causes are
These medical problems do not coexist with ADHD. They are not ADHD,
only share symptoms, and the patient is suffering from a medically
It is sad when otherwise intelligent people can study for years at
university or medical school, and still not understand the difference
and relationship between cause, symptom and illness.
There can be many causes for a headache. The headache, which is the
symptom, feels the same irrespective of the cause. The cause is often
the clue to which treatment to choose.
It is the same with ADHD. The cause needs to be ascertained and
treated. That is why you should find a doctor who understands the
complexity of the ADHD syndrome.
Below are some of the medical reasons for some people having an ADD or ADHD type of behavior.
Medical Causes of ADHD behavior
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This can give ADD like symptoms.
- Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). This can give ADHD like symptoms.
- Metabolic disorders causing lack of glucose to the brain. This includes early onset diabetes. The symptoms include anxiety, aggressive behavior and depression.
- Hypothyroidism a metabolism imbalance from an underproduction of thyroid hormones. This can give ADD like symptoms.
- Hyperthyroidism a metabolism imbalance from an overproduction of thyroid hormones. This can give ADHD like symptoms.
- Heart conditions. This has an effect of starving the brain of oxygen, glucose and other nutrients.
- Medication side effects. Some cough and cold over-the-counter medicines contain pseudoephedrine which can cause hyperactivity. Pain killers and asthma medication can also cause ADHD like symptoms.
- PANDAS. A cuddly acronym for Paediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders. Result of strep or Streptococcal infections.
- Cushing’s disease or hypercorticism, an overproduction of cortisol. It is a hormone disorder caused by high levels of cortisol in the blood. The cure is usually by surgery as it can be caused by tumours producing cortisol. Taking ADHD stimulant drugs in this case will only do harm.
- Addison’s disease or hypocorticism, an underproduction of cortisol. This is a rare endocrine disorder where the adrenal glands produce insufficient cortisol, generally diagnosed by blood tests. Treatment involves hormone replacement and definitely not ADHD stimulant drugs.
The page mental health causes of ADD and ADHD
is about mental health disorders. A person has ADHD type behavior (that
is what ADHD symptoms are) as a result of a mental health disorder s/he
can appear to have ADHD, and if misdiagnosed as ADHD may be given
stimulant medication such as Ritalin. ADHD stimulant drugs are a quick
fix to suppress symptoms, and are not a cure; they have to be taken
daily and the effect lasts only a few hours.
Curing a mental health problem requires effort and commitment;
medication by itself is only a support and not the cure. Since a number
of mental health problems are diagnosed together with ADD or ADHD,
disorders such as mood disorder, anxiety disorder, depression,
dissociative disorder, or even personality disorder need to be assessed.
Before accepting stimulant medication, the cause of the ADHD behavior
should be determined. If your doctor wants to treat the ADHD symptom
before finding out the cause, you should find a doctor who understands
the complexity of the ADHD syndrome.
There are some natural supplements which can help the child focus
during boring and unstimulating school classes. Among these are Bright
Spark with a special
BrightSpark for ADD – Buy 2, Get 1 FREE offer; and
Focus ADDult For adults and teens – with the same Buy 2, Get 1 FREE offer.
Both from Native Remedies.