ADHD Causes – Allergies
A person with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) like
behavior is often suffering from a variety of problems. It is the
underlying causes that need to be treated and not just the symptoms.
Allergies are an important cause of ADHD-like behavior and need to be
seriously considered. 15 to 20 percent of the world’s population has
some type of allergy
Food allergies are not restricted to casein and gluten. There is the
food dye ADHD connection as well. A food dye does not cause ADHD
behavior in every child, but for an adult or a child with a food dye
allergy this is reality, whatever some myopic academic may hypothesize
in their research study.
Food allergies are difficult to diagnose, as they cause concentration
problems and mood swings that can be confused with ADHD. The symptoms
are randomly and can last anywhere from 30 minutes to many hours. So
called “brain fog” and mood swings are typically experienced by people
with ADHD and these are a couple of the many food allergy symptoms
Many successful alternative ADHD treatments actually treat the cause,
meaning that an ADHD disorder was not there in the first place.
Anyone who is diagnosed as having ADD or ADHD, should be screened for
other conditions. Even the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual
4th revision) has a caveat at the end of the list of diagnostic
criteria: “The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental
Obviously if someone has an allergy causing ADHD like symptoms, that
person does not have a mental disorder, nor do they have ADHD, but there
is a risk for misdiagnoses and being treated with dangerous drugs.
While Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder exists, misdiagnosis
in ADHD related cases is very common. If there is an ADHD epidemic, this
may be caused by a misdiagnosis epidemic and allergies should be
considered in this context.
There is no ONE cure for ADD and ADHD. There is no ONE cause for ADHD
and ADD. Every child and adult is unique. Our metabolisms differ from
person to person. Even identical twins, after being exposed to different
environments and different experiences, are not the same.
ADHD, Hyperkinetic Syndrome and ADD are controversial conditions.
This means that we should deal with it responsibly and with an open
Possible ADD and ADHD Allergy Causes
Among the causes of ADHD like behavior are:
- Food preservatives. e.g. sodium benzoate (E211).
- Food dye allergy. Among suspect food dyes found in sweets and soft drinks are:
- Tartrazine (E102)
- Quinoline Yellow (E104)
- Sunset Yellow (E110)
- Carmoisine, a coal tar derivative (E122)
- Ponceau 4R (E124)
- Allura Red AC (E129)
- Aspartame allergy. People with who have Phenylketonuria (PKU), cannot metabolize the phenylalanine (a breakdown product of aspertame), which may result in toxic levels in the body. There are 92 reported symptoms of aspartame allergy including depression and anxiety attacks, both of which cause ADD or ADHD symptoms in children. This is controvertial, as people who suffer from aspartame allergy have dramatically different symptoms, making diagnosis very difficult.
- Gluten allergy or coeliac disease.
- Casein allergy.
- Specific dust, such as dust mites.
- Chocolate allergy.
- Mould allergy.
- Milk allergy. Milk is presented as the perfect food. Milk allergy is implicated in many different disorders, including behavioural disorders. and often goes unnoticed for years since milk is so common in our society.
This list of some conditions, which have signs and symptoms similar
to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, is intended to show the
complexity of diagnosing attention deficit syndrome. An understanding
doctor should be consulted for screening for possible physiological
causes of the behaviour. A good child psychologist who has experience
with treating ADHD children should be consulted before any medicinal
treatment is tried.
The page giftedness as causes of ADD and ADHD
is about gifted children and adults who do not have a disorder, but do
not fit into an average square hole. School is designed for an average
child, not a thinker. ADD or ADHD is a part of their personality and is a
part of their talent.
There are some natural supplements which can help fight allergies. Among these are AllergiClear with a special AllergiClear – Buy 2, Get 1 FREE offer; and
BronchoSoothe Tissue Salts – with the same Buy 2, Get 1 FREE offer.
Both from Native Remedies.