ADHD Medications List
An ADHD medications list can be divided into 4 basic types:
- Stimulant medication, e.g. Ritalin, Adderall and Vyvanse.
- Non-stimulant medication, e.g. Strattera and Intuniv.
- Antidepressants, e.g. Wellbutrin and Tofranil.
- Natural ADHD treatments, e.g. Attend, Extress and Memorin.
Only the last group, the natural supplements are free from side effects and do not cause sleep or appetite problems.
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is not as simple as
most sites and even doctors present it. They repeat the standard ADHD
diagnosis model, based on the official diagnostic manual the DSM-IV
(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition).
There are a few problems relying on it without a dose of healthy
The first complication is terminology. ADHD is generally diagnosed by
what are called attention deficit disorder symptoms. The problem is
that a symptom is not a disorder. The cause of the symptom is a
disorder, not the symptom itself. Coughing is not a disorder; the cause
of the coughing is the disorder, whether it is a common cold, emphysema,
tuberculosis or lung cancer. They each require different treatment, but
share a common symptom, coughing.
Even brain scans, the new toys for brain scientists, do not show the
cause, but measure the symptoms. If something is wrong in the brain
wiring, that must have a cause. Focussing on the symptom helps to
produce more scientific articles, as it is easier to study symptoms than
it is to find the cause. Brain scans can study conscious thought
activity in the brain, but intuitive and subconscious thought processes
are not so easy to quantify.
The second complication is that the official diagnostic manual the
ADHD diagnosis is based on, the DSM-IV, has tried to explain how the
term “disorder” should be used, and has changed the word from describing
a noun like disease, illness or sickness, to defining “disorder” as an abstract concept.
Confused? After I have read hundreds of scientific research articles on
ADHD it is clear that the majority of the authors do not understand the
used of the word “disorder” in the DSM-IV manual, or they have not read
The third complication is an oversimplification of the role of
dopamine in the human brain. This is convenient when writing a
scientific article, as it gives the impression the author understands
the subject, but it results in generalised interpretations. It does not
advance the understanding of what ADHD is, merely keeps ADHD research
stuck in circular reasoning.
If the attention deficit the child is experiencing in a boring school
class is due to a dopamine deficiency, then where did the dopamine come
from an hour later when the ADHD kid is at home engaged in his or her
If dopamine is the reason for attention deficit, then why is the following type of statement found in the prescription information for every adhd medication produced by pharmaceutical companies?
“The mode of action in man is not completely understood, but Ritalin presumably activates the brain stem arousal system and cortex to produce its stimulant effect.
There is neither specific evidence which clearly establishes the mechanism whereby Ritalin produces its mental and behavioral effects in children, nor conclusive evidence regarding how these effects relate to the condition of the central nervous system.”
Ritalin Prescribing Information from Novartis. Ritalin is used here,
but it is the same with Concerta, Focalin, Adderall, Vyvanse, Strattera,
Intuniv, etc. under the headings “Pharmacodynamics,” or “Mode of
Action,” using words or phrases like presumably, thought to, believed
A list of medications for ADHD starts with the Ritalin stimulant type drugs.
ADHD Stimulant Medication: Pros and Cons
- They do help mask symptoms of inattention, or attention deficit, and hyperactivity for a few hours at a time for many patients, but not all.
- If you are taking this and you do not have side effects and feel positive about taking them, then they might be just the answer for you.
- Most people who take these drugs do feel some side effects. Which side effects are felt depends on the drug’s interaction with your specific metabolism.
- Because we have different biochemical profiles, it is impossible to know beforehand if stimulant drugs will improve your condition and which, if any side effects you will experience.
- Children and adolescents with Opposition Defiance Disorder or Conduct Disorder get worse on stimulant drugs.
- If these drugs are as safe as the manufacturers claim, why are they classed as illegal schedule II drugs?
- Long-term solutions are difficult to put in place if a person develops a psychological dependence to their prescribed drug.
Amphetamine Stimulant ADHD Medication
Amphetamine Stimulant ADHD Medication
Methylphenidate Stimulant ADHD Medication
Natural Remedies for ADHD
Natural homeopathic remedies do exist as viable alternatives to the conventional stimulant medications. They vary in the formulations, but are natural products and so have no side effects.
Natural Remedies for ADHD
Natural homeopathic remedies do exist as viable alternatives to the
conventional stimulant medications. They vary in the formulations, but
are natural products and so have no side effects.
A person with ADHD symptoms generally has a different metabolism than
the average person. We are all different without having disorders. Some
people are naturally slim while others are naturally stouter. A
metabolism requiring more nutrients more frequently is not a disorder.
If taking supplements eases the symptoms, that shows that those
nutrients are needed.
Of the various formulations the one with most value for your money is
also the one with the most all-round ADHD specific formulation. this is
for inattentive type attention deficit disorder symptoms. This
supplement formula is as efficient in treating attention deficit as the
best stimulant and non-stimulant medication, but without side effects or
risk of overdosing.
Two other supplements that fit well with Attend, are:
- Memorin which helps build the short-term memory which is the cause of the scatterbrained effect often accompanying ADHD and
- Extress which calms the hyperactivity.
While stimulant medication helps the ADHD child to focus and sit
calmly, there is an element of becoming compliant. The supplements
Attend, Memorin and Extress do the same for focus and calming
hyperactivity, but without taking the edge off the child’s vitality.
This page continues with a medication list for non stimulant ADHD medicine.